Re: eMail Com Between Hosts on a Private Net

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 8:21 PM Martin McCormick <martin.m@suddenlink.net> wrote:
My thanks to all who replied and thanks for reminding me of some
of the considerations one needs to think of when setting this all
up since that's what I used to do as part of my job before
retiring in 2015.  As for there being 16 subnets in the
192.168.x.x number space, one can use variable-width subnet masks

        I remember early in the nineties our campus went from a
single Class C to a Class B network and the whole campus used the
Class B subnet mask with bridges holding the whole thing
together.  You should have seen some of the arp storms that would
        By the time I left, we were using the huge private
network space of 10.0.0.0 with aNAT or Network Address
Translation to parts of the old Class B network and it generally
worked well.

Yeah I did that transition a few times in a few organizations :-)

        I wrote a C then a perl program which would assign IP
addresses for hosts on our networks that knew the sizes of all
the subnet masks so assigning IP addresses was something anybody

Recommending ipcalc to you. You can run it locally standalone or locally web-served, or invoke it remotely.
Can pretty easily be embedded in your larger perl app. And naturally there are many perl modules available
to you which do the same in many different ways, contexts, environments.

Martin