eMail Com Between Hosts on a Private Net

The installation, here, is like millions of others.  We are on a
private VLAN with the router acting as the gateway to our ISP's
network and the internet.  There is nothing unusual about that so
the question is Can systems on a 192.168.x VLAN use smtp to send
mail to each other?

	I really should know the answer to this because I am a
retired systems engineer who used unix systems and mailers all
the time but that was in a university network and I would just
assign a DNS name to each box and maybe a MX record if it was
necessary so that box1.midlevel.edu could deliver mail to
box2.midlevel.edu whether it was across the room or on another
continent.

	The DNS support is what you don't have on a private VLAN
so I want to do this in a safe but simple way.

	This would make it possible for Linux boxes on the
network to send messages to the system I normally receive mail on
so that squawks about a process crashing or some other problem
are sure to be seen.

	The other systems sending those messages don't even
necessarily need to send mail outside the network but they do
need to send mail to the system I normally read mail on.

	I looked up this topic using duckduckgo and found very
little hits that were on topic and lots of mercantile buzz about
email hosting companies, etc.  All are necessary but not what I
was asking about.

	I have put static IP records in to the dhcp server on our
router so 192.168.1.xx will always either have a specific host at
that address or nothing if the MAC address changes and the record
hasn't been updated.

	Also, I have put /etc/hosts files on Linux systems and a
Mac and I believe there is a hosts file one can add to Windows
systems for a similar effect.

	Thanks for any good ideas.

Martin McCormick