Re: eMail Com Between Hosts on a Private Net

On Wed, 20 Oct 2021 11:46:11 -0500
"Martin McCormick" <martin.m@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> Can systems on a 192.168.x VLAN use smtp to send
> mail to each other?

I know of no reason why not. However, one thing to be careful of: These
are class C networks, so the default netmask will be 255.255.255.0.
With that, you will need routing to go between networks, i.e.
192.168.100.y to 192.168.122.z.

> 	Also, I have put /etc/hosts files on Linux systems and a
> Mac and I believe there is a hosts file one can add to Windows
> systems for a similar effect.

There was the last time I worked with Windows, but that was a while ago.

Is there any reason why you don't set up your own DNS server? One it is
up and running, and DHCP is updating it as new computers come along,
life is much easier.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com