Debian 11 freezes/hangs after boot

Greetings,

Installed the Debian 11 Live DVD on a USB stick then a DVD.
Both  hardly respond to the keyboard or mouse after some minutes.
Seen the full desktop once. The desktop usually stops when the pointer appears on the grey screen. A ctrl-alt-f2 and ctrl-alt-f3 sometimes shows a prompt at first then stops after the second or third command. The escape key sometimes shows a usual boot sequence without any error indications.

Got a peek at the bottom page of the syslog which had a repeated sequence of "PCIe Bus Error " messages . Not sure if these are relevant.

There are plenty of "failed to start Journal Service" messages but these might not be relevant either. Scattered on the ctrl-alt-f1 , f2 and f3 screens.

On one file  on the last page saw a number of messages which included

localhost systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in First Boot Complete being skipped

After that there were a number of further "Condition check resulted in <something> being skipped" messages.

These, at a guess, look like they may be relevant.

The machine is an Asus X541U, Intel I5 chipset. Three and a half years old. No modifications. It loaded Debian 9 without problems. The wifi/blue tooth card is turned off because of voluminous error messages.

Saw on forums.debian.net  a possible fix :

     edit /etc/default/grub so that it has the line

         GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash reboot=pci"

      the "reboot=pci" is the necessary change.

Any comments ? Does this work ?
Thanks.

I intended to see what surprises may be lurking within by trying to run the Debian 11 Live DVD, amd64, KDE.

The current plan is to collect possible fixes then install Debian 11 amd64 KDE on an external disk so I can get at the logs and generally experiment with it. When it works sufficiently then install it on the main system.

Cheers

frank.jansen@actrix.gen.nz    ZL2TTS