Re: How exactly do I create a Debian live USB?

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021, 00:26 Andrei POPESCU, <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Lu, 11 oct 21, 21:20:25, kaye n wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 8:41 PM Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 02:37:02PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > > But, urm, it might be that debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-standard.iso does
> > > not provide any graphical user interface. Maybe a shell prompt is all
> > > you can expect from it.
> >
> > I'm almost 100% certain this is true.
> >
> > If the live system is working, other than that one kernel warning message,
> > then just ignore the warning.  Hit Enter to get a "clean" shell prompt.
> >

> So that's the issue.
> What desktop environment would you guys recommend for a desktop computer
> with these specs?
>
> CPU:
>   Dual Core: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 type: MCP speed: 1998 MHz
>   min/max: 670/10166 MHz

How much RAM?

> Graphics:
>   Device-1: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
>   Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel
>   unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
>   OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945G v: 1.4 Mesa 18.3.6
>
> Do I choose xfce, kde, mate, etc. ?

My personal choice, even for faster machines is LXDE. It might seem a
bit spartan, especially if you compare with Gnome or KDE, but it is also
lightning fast, and all basic functionality is there.

Depending on your choice of applications you might also consider LXQt
(based on Qt instead of GTK).

For machines with limited RAM it's probably best if you keep the number
of toolkits in use at a minimum.

(it's probably a good idea for live systems as well, unless you have
enough RAM to boot with 'toram', if that option still exists and does
what I remember it did)

Kind regards,
Andrei
Sorry forgot about the ram. It's 3GB.