Re: How exactly do I create a Debian live USB?

On Lu, 11 oct 21, 12:56:28, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> kaye n wrote:
> > Using GParted, I created an MS-DOS partition table and formatted the USB
> > stick in fat32.
>
> This is not necessary and will be overwritten by your next step:
>
> > sudo cp  debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-standard.iso /dev/sdb
> > sync
>
> This is a correct procedure and is supposed to do what is needed.
> The fact that booting works confirms that you did it right.
>
> > stuck in a black terminal-like screen where it says, I/O error, etc.
>
> Maybe your USB stick is not good.
> Do you get i/o errors when you read the whole stick by:
>
>   dd bs=1M if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/null
>
> (Depending on size and speed of the stick this can last long.
>  If your dd is young enough you get entertaining progress messages by
>  adding two more options:
>
>    dd bs=1M if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/null status=progress oflag=dsync
> )
>
> If the stick is not plain bad, then you will have to show the messages
> which you see when booting gets stuck. Either as hand-copied text or
> as screen photo which you upload to some site like pastebin.com. In
> the latter case post a link to your uploaded photo.

In addition to what Thomas wrote, you might also want to try the live
image including firmware.

https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/

It's unlikely to fix whatever I/O errors you encountered, but it might
help with other issues you didn't encounter yet ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei