Re: Order of package updates, mysql vs. kernel

On Lu, 11 oct 21, 10:53:18, Vladislav Kurz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> during the last point release (and some previous updates too) I have noticed
> one unpleasant issue:
>
> If there is mysql (mariadb) and kernel update at the same time, the order of
> actions is as follows:
>
> stop mysql
> compile kernel modules for new kernel (using dkms)
> create new initrd, update-grub, etc...
> start mysql
>
> Kernel module compilation may take quite a long time, during which is mysql
> stopped, but does not need to.
>
> I'm not sure whether this should be reported as bug in mysql or kernel
> packaging.

Without looking into it I'm guessing MariaDB is stopped in preinst and
started in postinst, and there might be very good reasons to do it like
this[1]. It can't however account for whatever else is done by APT/dpkg
in between[2].

To minimize MariaDB downtime you might want to consider upgrading it in
a separate APT run from everything else.

[1] README.Debian, the changelog, (archived) bug reports, or comments in
the package scripts might provide more insight here.

[2] Your issue is triggered by dkms, but it could be any other package
that does some processing on upgrades, or just the amount of packages
that you are upgrading at the same time.

Kind regards,
Andrei