Re: First time WINE user looking for tutorial

On 10/09/2021 10:24 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 09:40:21 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

I just installed WINE64 on a Bullseye system. I'm looking for a basic
tutorial. Got no promising hits from DuckDuckGo or Google. I did some
unproductive roaming of https://www.winehq.org/ .

Really? "No promising hits?" I did an "install set up wine" DuckDuckGo
search and got numerous useful hits.  Of course, if you're looking for
a Bullseye specific tutorial, I doubt if you' find one -- too new.

Your search terms were better than mine ;/
I included "+tutorial" as a keyword and top hits were how to use git to submit patches.

Maybe, these will help:

   https://itsfoss.com/use-windows-applications-linux/
   https://linuxhint.com/install-use-wine-linux/

They gave me what I hoped for in posting -- additional search terms that relate some of my goals. In addition to both being the type of tutorial I was looking for, the second does not have the string "tutorial" in any context.

Just be forewarned, WINE is not the catchall solution to running
Windows apps: The more involved codewise the program is like games or
Photoshop, the more problems you'll have.

For context, I've been providing informal support to a local couple for decades. He is a retired pastor, now a missionary. They need a new computer and as part of my support, I'll be purchasing a replacement. As I've not used Windows since WinXP and they are pure Windows users I planned to dual boot Windows and Debian. Debian primarily for its maintenance tools. I hope WINE will run enough of their "must have" apps that I can use that as a selling point to move from Windows to Linux.

In those cases, just run Windows in a virtual machine which is what I do
for ALL Windows apps I need. Less or virtually no gotchas!

On my personal machines I would have no motivation to install a VM. However, I'll investigate the pros/cons of having their machine run a VM in which I would run Debian as a demo.

Are there good FOSS or low cost VMs for Windows machines?

Thanks