Re: You have been removed from the list (repeatedly)

On 10/5/21, Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
> In the last 24 hours, I've been dropped from this list at least 3 times.
> I am able to re-subscribe, but it's a real pain in the ass.
>
> It seems to happen after I post a message to the list while subscribed.
> In each case, I receive a message like the one I've quoted below.
>
> Is this happening to anyone else?  Is there anything I can do to stop it,
> other than simply re-subscribing every time I post?
>
> What is this "vps268904.ovh.net", why is it sending messages with the
> subject "**stop**", why do no such messages appear in the web archive
> of debian-user, and why are these messages causing me to become
> unsubscribed?

Apparently OVH is possibly some kind of cloud thing.. and/or also a
web domain registrar kind of deal.. or not. I took a quick peek at my
insanely massive inbox. Found maybe 20 references.

Seven references were sent by me to "s/pam" at UCE dot gov.. back in
2012. Ouch. OVH dot net appeared to be the "real" sender, the conduit,
while something "dot fr" was also listed as the sender in the random
email I viewed.

A more recent email is "OVH dot it" this past March, 2021. The message
is Italian, as confirmed by Google's translator. The email is advising
that the recipient needs to immediately renew their expired website
services.

> My best guess is that someone is spamming debian-user, the messages are
> being sent to everyone, my local MTA's spam filters are blocking them,
> and the mailing list is getting mad at me for blocking the spam that it's
> sending to me.  This might not be the case, but it would explain why the
> messages aren't showing up in the web archive (they're removed because
> they're spam).
>
> On Tue, Oct 05, 2021 at 08:28:57PM +0000,
> debian-user-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
>> Your mail address greg@wooledge.org has been removed
>> It generated an excessive amount of bounced mails.
>>
>> Before sending in a subscription request to
>> debian-user-request@lists.debian.org again, please ensure that
>> this problem has been resolved.	 When in doubt, ask your system
>> administrator or send mail to "postmaster".
>>
>> The last one of those bounced mails has been quoted below:
>> >From postmaster@vps268904.ovh.net  Tue Oct  5 20:28:57 2021
>> >	by bendel.debian.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id A34E220455
>> >	for <lists-debian-user@bendel.debian.org>; Tue,  5 Oct 2021 20:28:57

Interesting because the newer hinky looking email I'm looking at was
sent from a gmx.de email address and was sent directly to online at
bendel dot debian dot org as the public, immediately visible
recipient.

Found one last reference which was a thread about Debian sponsors
and/or service providers where OVH appeared to be given a positive
thumbs up due to their support, by the way.

< snipped for brevity >

>> ><greg@wooledge.org>: Re: network problem
>> >Please stop the message. we have already unsubscribed our email address.

Did you write the "Please stop" part? It appears to be attributing the
"we have already unsubscribed" to you, Greg, which is certainly not
what you're trying to do. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey