LibreOffice slower after upgrade to Debian 11

LibreOffice Writer and Impress became unbearably slow when cropping or moving images around on the page. Also Impress was super slow o page through when the presentation contained a background image on all slides (but used to be instant in Debian 10, on the same laptop). I read a post from a few years ago that running:

apt-get remove libreoffice-gtk3

would speed things up, so I run it and it sure did take care of that issue. But now the appearance of LibreOffice and the options that you get when you save or open files and browse for them are changed, and not in a helpful way. I'd love the have the libreoffice-gtk3 back so things would function as usual, but the slowness is unbearable. Would upgrading to a newer version of LibreOffice help, rather than using the version that comes standard with Debian 11 stable?

Thanks!
Luben