Re: unhappy upgrade

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:49:10 -0400
"Roy J. Tellason, Sr." <roy@rtellason.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 03 October 2021 07:48:38 pm Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:49:12 -0400
> > "Roy J. Tellason, Sr." <roy@rtellason.com> wrote:
>
>[snip]

> > > Are you suggesting that I go through that for all of the
> > > versions, one after another?
> >
> > Yes.  You want to make sure that each version is fully up to date
> > BEFORE dist-upgrading to the next.
>
> How specifically do I do that?

Make sure your repo list in /etc/apt/ is correctly configured for
the version you just dist-upgraded to, then as root apt update ... apt
upgrade (NOT dist-upgrade).  That should do it.

> > Also, check that the repo sources list is correct for each
> > version.
>
> I'm assuming that you refer to /etc/apt/sources.list?  At the

Yes. Also check /etc/apt/sources.list.d for anything just in case.

> [snip]
>
> > You can use dpkg to install, but it won't automatically take care
> > of dependencies.  I use gdebi-core, a command line utility, that
> > will install the .deb file correctly and install any dependencies.
> > You must be root to install.
>
> Is that another package that I should install?

It isn't installed as part of the OS. So, yes. However, if you don't
want to, use dpkg to install and apt-get -f to resolve the dependencies.

> > > I have done similar in the passt,  with Slackware.  Which isually
> > > involves stickinng another hard drive in the machine.  I don't
> > > have one handy at present,  though,  and probably won't be
> > > getting one in the near-term.
> >
> > You really only need enough free space on a single drive to install
> > the new version.  I share the swap partition to conserve space. So,
> > I only need / and /home partitions for the new install. Some share
> > the /home partition, too, but I never have. The installer should
> > take care of setting up dual or multibooting as required.
>
> Okay,  now it sounds like you're talking about setting up another
> partition and doing a fresh install to that.  Which isn't what I
> did,  and I don't particularly plan to on that machine.  I've already
> done the one upgrade here,  it's somewhat broken,  though partially
> functional,  and I'd much rather spend my energies to fix that,
> rather than going that route...

I am. That's what I do.  I avoid dist-upgrading as I usually use
the OS until Long Term Support ends ... about 5 years, which is about
2 release versions. Saves a lot of time and headaches. In your case, it
would be the easiest, less problematical way to go since your first
dist-upgrade is partially broken. Just install Bullseye as a new
install, install what apps you need, copy over your data ... Done.