Re: unhappy upgrade

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:49:12 -0400
"Roy J. Tellason, Sr." <roy@rtellason.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 03 October 2021 12:11:13 am Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 11:57:51 -0400
> > "Roy J. Tellason, Sr." <roy@rtellason.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In recent messaging here I touched on how I'd determined that my
> > > workstation was way behind being current.  Apparently I needed to
> > > go 8->9->10->11.  I tried the first of those steps,  and things
> > > did not go well in a number of ways...
> >
> > First, back up all your data before starting the dist-upgrade
> > series.
>
> I did back up a bunch of stuff,  and it's a good thing I did,  or I
> would have lost a lot...
>
> > Also, read and follow the Release Notes of dist-upgrade for each
> > version.
>
> Where are these to be found?

https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/releasenotes
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/releasenotes
https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/releasenotes
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes (Bullseye)

Here's the main document page:

https://www.debian.org/doc/

> > Reboot after each version upgrade, then do an apt-get
> > update/upgrade, etc.
>
> Are you suggesting that I go through that for all of the versions,
> one after another?

Yes.  You want to make sure that each version is fully up to date
BEFORE dist-upgrading to the next.

Also, check that the repo sources list is correct for each version.

> > > For some reason,  the software decided to remove virtualbox.
> > > Which is a real problem,  because it's inside a virtual machine
> > > that I do all of my mail,  so I couldn't get at my mail for a
> > > while.  In Synaptic Package Manager if I try to install it I get
> > > the following error message:
> > >
> > > "Package virtualbox has no available version, but exists in the
> > > database.  This typically means that the package was mentioned in
> > > a dependency and never uploaded,  has been obsoleted or is not
> > > available with the contents of sources.list"
> > >
> > > I got temporarily past this by installing 8 on this laptop I'm
> > > currently typimg on.  Some things are decidedly less convenient.
> >
> > Complete the dist-upgrade for all versions, then reinstall
> > VirtualBox. Be sure you saved all your VMs before the
> > dist-upgrade(s).  They may be deleted.
>
> Yes,  I did save them and will do so again before I proceed,  since
> I'm modifying this one as I type here...
> > I don't use the VB version in the Debian repos, but download and
> > install the .deb directly from their web site.  During the install
> > the VB repo will be set up.
>
> I did do a download from their site.  But it's not clear to me where
> I need to put it and how to tell the package management software
> about it.

Did you download the .deb file of it?  You can use dpkg to install, but
it won't automatically take care of dependencies.  I use gdebi-core, a
command line utility, that will install the .deb file correctly and
install any dependencies. You must be root to install.

> > > Firefox is majorly different,  apparently having gone from 68.9.0
> > > --> 78.14.0esr.  It no longer uses the font that I'm telling it
> > > to,  and for some odd reason won't play any youtube videos any
> > > more.  Instead I see a message on the screen that says "if video
> > > doesn't start momentarily restart your device".  Huh?
> > >
> > > Konqueror is also broken,  I get "Could not start proess Unable to
> > > create io-slave: klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_file'"...
> > >
> > > Trying to open a file with Okular gets me a similar message.
> >
> > Complete the entire dist-upgrade before trying to fix problems.
> > The problems may fix themselves.
>
> For all of the versions,  straight through to 11?

More or less.  Check the repos are the correct for that version,
Update/upgrade, then reboot. The Release Notes gives full
instructions.

> > > I don't see any way to back out of these changes,  or any obvious
> > > place to look for where the problems are.  Suggestions welcomed.
> >
> > I avoid dist-upgrading, if I can because of such problems, and do a
> > clean install of the newest version on a free partition keeping the
> > old install as fallback in case something goes awry.
>
> I have done similar in the passt,  with Slackware.  Which isually
> involves stickinng another hard drive in the machine.  I don't have
> one handy at present,  though,  and probably won't be getting one in
> the near-term.

You really only need enough free space on a single drive to install
the new version.  I share the swap partition to conserve space. So, I
only need / and /home partitions for the new install. Some share
the /home partition, too, but I never have. The installer should take
care of setting up dual or multibooting as required.