Re: failed upgrade buster -> bullseye

On Mon 04 Oct 2021 at 16:12:49 (-0600), D. R. Evans wrote:
> I just tried to upgrade my main desktop machine (this machine) from
> buster to bullseye.
>
> The upgrade halted with:
>
> ----

> Setting up libgnustep-base1.27 (1.27.0-3) ...
> Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (2.0-1) ...
> Setting up gnustep-base-runtime (1.27.0-3) ...
> Setting up unar (1.10.1-2+b6) ...
>  linux-image-5.10.0-8-amd64
>  linux-image-amd64
>
> Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> ----
>
> I have no idea what to do (other than to refrain from rebooting and
> hope that I don't lose power for so long that the UPS dies).
>
> How do I start to find and fix the problem???
>
> I do have a script record of the entire upgrade. It's about 6MB in length.

So I would type:

$ col -b < your-typescript-file | less

and then the less commands:

-j 12 <RETURN>
/linux-image <RETURN>

and then n to see the next match for linux-image. That may give you
some idea of what failed. FAOD no space is typed between /linux-image
and the <RETURN> keystroke. col -b is not perfect so the file will
look a little messy in parts, with extra characters. -j is just to
give 12 lines of context before the matching string, to save scrolling.

Cheers,
David.