Re: unhappy upgrade

On Sun 03 Oct 2021 at 12:55:43 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 12:49:12PM -0400, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 October 2021 12:11:13 am Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > > Reboot after each version upgrade, then do an apt-get update/upgrade, etc.
> >
> > Are you suggesting that I go through that for all of the versions,  one after another?
>
> That is precisely how it's done, yes.  That, and reading the release
> notes and fixing up all the little things that have changed with each
> new release.

But don't lose focus of what you're doing: making sure the Debian OS
is still happy at each revision. But don't try to cheat the calendar:
you shouldn't try to configure each and every application that you use
after the first step. Some of these external applications that you can
download today will just not work with, say, stretch, whose time has
passed. And who's interested enough to help out with such old software?

So minimise the pain and get /Debian/ to version 11; then cast around
for these applications in their new incarnations and try to install
them. With up-to-date software, you'll get more support.

> This is why *some* people (not all) prefer to wipe their systems and do
> a clean reinstall of the newer version, rather than upgrade.

Cheers,
David.