Re: Dependency check: qml-module-org-kde-newstuff

On 29.09.21 14:35, Hans wrote:
Hi folks,

I am using debian/stable i386.

After the updgrade to bullseye, I got into the issue, that I could not change
several settings for icons or mouse pointer in plasma.

Examination showed, that the module "org.kde.newstuff" could not be found. And
indeed, further investigation showed, that the responsible package "qml-
module-org-kde-newstuff" was not installed. Installation fixed that issue, of
course.

However, IMO this package should be automatically installed with plasma.

It would be nice, if someone could check and maybe verify, if the dependency
for this package is correctly set, or if this problem only appears at my
computer.

Please note, this issue appeared only on my 32-Bit system!

As I do not know, which package is responsible for additionally install the
package "qml-module-org-kde-newstuff" I can not check myself. I am sure, the
maintainers know more. (I believe, it is plasma-desktop or plasma-data-
desktop)

It is just a little issue, which can easily be fixed, so no need to file an
extra bugreport, I suppose.

Thanks for reading this!

Best regards

Hans

If I investigate my package installations with the following commands:
	apt list qml-module-org-kde-newstuff
	aptitude why qml-module-org-kde-newstuff
	apt rdepends qml-module-org-kde-newstuff

then I am shown:
that it was drawn in as a dependency:
qml-module-org-kde-newstuff/stable,now 5.78.0-4 amd64 [installed,automatic]

and that several packages could depend on it or could recommend it:

i   plasma-desktop      Depends    plasma-desktop-data (= 4:5.20.5-4)
i A plasma-desktop-data Recommends qml-module-org-kde-newstuff

Reverse Depends:
	Depends: knewstuff-dialog (= 5.86.0-2)
	Depends: systemsettings
	Depends: plasma-systemmonitor (>= 5.78.0~)
	Recommends: plasma-desktop-data
	Depends: peruse
	Recommends: libkf5newstuffcore5 (= 5.86.0-2)
	Depends: knewstuff-dialog (= 5.78.0-4)
	Breaks: libkf5coreaddons5 (<< 5.42)
	Breaks: libkf5attica5 (<< 5.42)
	Depends: artikulate
	Depends: plasma-systemmonitor (>= 5.66.0~)
	Recommends: plasma-desktop-data
	Depends: peruse
	Recommends: libkf5newstuffcore5 (= 5.78.0-4)
	Breaks: libkf5attica5 (<< 5.42)
	Breaks: libkf5coreaddons5 (<< 5.42)
	Depends: artikulate

So, these are the candidates which could have let install it automatically. However, I almost never let install recommends and the list also shows packages which I actually have not installed at all. It pretty much looks like plasma-desktop-data drew it in, but I am quite sure that I installed plasma-desktop without recommends (apt install --no-install-recommends) and therefore would expect that also its dependency plasma-desktop-data should have been installed without recommends. But about this last point I am not sure how apt handles it. Unfortunately I also do not find in the apt command's "term" or "history" logs, or the dpkg logs which package finally did draw it in, I can only find the date when it was installed together with many (too many!) other packages at a certain date, probably the day when I upgraded from buster to bullseye. Therefore I cannot help you to localize the package which indeed was responsible to draw it in.

If someone could teach me how to narrow down from the candidates to the finally responsible package, or some other approach how to derive the searched for information, then I could continue to investigate my system for you. Otherwise I am stuck and wouldn't know how to help you more.

Best wishes,
Marco