Re: iwd: Using iwd to connect to a wireless network (Part 1 - Connection status show OK but unable to surf the net)

Hi Dan

> Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 10:08 PM
> From: "Dan Ritter" <dsr@randomstring.org>
> To: "Stella Ashburne" <rewefie@gmx.com>
> Subject: Re: iwd: Using iwd to connect to a wireless network (Part 1 - Connection status show OK but unable to surf the net)
>

> You are using Debian, right?

Yes I do. In fact Debian 11/Bullseye is my distro.

> Different distros do things differently.

Based on my experience with using ArchLinux's tutorials, I have been able to get all of my stuff done on Debian without problems. After all both are Linux distros. It's not like one of them belongs to *BSD family while the other belongs to Linux family.

> I have no experience using 'iwd', so what I mean is that I
> cannot spot a problem in your config.

Let's have a look at ArchLinux's wiki's example (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Iwd) which I reproduce here:

Setting static IP address in network configuration
Add the following section to /var/lib/iwd/network.type file. For example:

/var/lib/iwd/spaceship.psk
[IPv4]
Address=192.168.1.10
Netmask=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.1.1
Broadcast=192.168.1.255
DNS=192.168.1.1

In the above example the broadcast IP is 192.168.1.255.

Question: Does the fourth octet have to be 255?

> > > then it should assign
> > > 192.168.0.30.115 to wlan0 and
> > >
> > > ip addr show
> > >
> > > should show that assignation. Does it?
> > >
> > No, it doesn't.
>
> Then iwd is not setting up your interface, or your config is
> wrong.

Oh dear! This is bad news :(