Re: upgrading and stuff

On Sb, 25 sep 21, 22:08:23, Andy Smith wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 05:07:46PM -0400, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
>
> > The only thing that works there is to log in as a regular user,
> > and then use the su command to get there.  A bit of a pain.  Where
> > in the software is this controlled?  I really would like to change
> > this behavior,  if at all possible.
>
> I am not aware of any modern desktop environment that allows to log
> in and run the entire GUI as root, for reasons you said you didn't
> want to hear about. Someone else may be able to suggest some
> alternate desktop environment that allows this.

Could it be this is an XY problem.

Care to elaborate on what exactly you need root for in a graphical
environment? The usual admin tools (you did mention using Synaptic,
GParted would be another useful graphical tool that needs root to do its
job) should have ways to elevate privileges.

I do assume you don't seriously consider running Firefox or something
like that as root ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei