Re: foolish problem with installer: can't load firmware

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 06:48:03AM -0400, lou wrote:

> On 9/20/21 5:38 AM, Stanislav Vlasov wrote:
> > > installer using hard disk method can read firmware in ext3 partition
> > May you take installer with integrated firmware?
> >
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/
> >

> Thanks, but it's unofficial, and it makes me feel uneasy
>
> fedora includes firmware, and i think they are serious about open source
>
> why debian can't do the same?

The reason it's unofficial is because it includes non-free firmware. Firmware
we can distribute - but can't fix when it goes wrong, can't provide source
for. Non-free is not part of Debian for just this reason.

That having been said: the image is prepared by Debian developers, in the
same way as the official image (which includes no non-free firmware) and
is a convenience to our users - our priorities are our users and Free
software.

if you can install using only the official image - especially when using
a wired interface rather than WiFi, say - you can then install the firmware
you need to get wifi working or whatever. The problem has come most recently
where firmware is needed not only for wifi and some graphics cards but also
for sound with some Intel chipsets.

The goal for Fedora may be different - but I'm fairly sure they _don't_ ship
firmware that Debian would consider non-free either.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater