Re: foolish problem with installer: can't load firmware

Hi,

lou wrote:
> fedora includes firmware, and i think they are serious about open source

Open Source is not necessarily Free Software.

> why debian can't do the same?

There is a checklist for what is officially acceptable
  https://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

Fedora makes a special exemption for "binary firmware" in
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items?rd=ForbiddenItems

Stanislav Vlasov wrote:
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmw
are/

lou wrote:
> it's unofficial, and it makes me feel uneasy

Being unofficial does not make it less safe than any other distro's official
ISO with non-free software. It's just that Debian makes a clearer distinction
between the goal to distribute purely free software and the reality that some
hardware does not work without non-free blobs which the computer has to load.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas