Re: Your Thoughts on Printer Replacement

Charles Curley wrote:
> I print rarely. Inkjet or laser? Or other? The carts on the L7700 tend
> to go bad before they empty,

Rarely printing? I would suggest a laser, even if the price for printouts
is higher.

Brand? The situation current is this, that only HP released their printer
drivers as Open Source (at least 99% of them). This means that you will
get forever support for these printers with OpenSource - at least in
theory. :-) Think: Even after the CUPS has been replaced in Debian or CUPS
is changing it's internal data/communication/API, the source can be
adapted by someone, who can program, even if HP won't.

Also a printer, which is capable of PostScript oder PDF, should be an
invest in future. As PostScript (PS) is still the most supported printer
language at the moment - PDF is/was only a derived language from PS.

On the other side: I own two lasers from HP because of the OpenSource
situation. I'm not so happy with my MFP device (CM415 - comparable with
MFP 227), as the scanner (!) part is cheap and shows this after some time:
a limited number of pages can be scanned by the sheet-fed and then its no
longer working (typical: 1000 pages), the scans are a way too light by b/w
only pages.

Real PostScript laser printers by Kyocera are not cheap, even I had a very
good experience with them under Linux in a former company.

Conclusion:

It's not easy to recommend a good printer model.

I would never recommend to buy a printer, where you don't get OpenSource
drivers. I'm not speaking of Linux drivers, I speak of Open >Source<
drivers.

Best regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel
GnuPG-Key-ID: 1024R/5068792D  1994-06-27