Re: Debian bullseye

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 02:36:44PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> I am seeing similar. I have two Lenovo T-61s, ans several FIT-PCs
> (i686, 220Mi physical memory, no GUI). All are noticeably slower.

This is an astonishingly low amount of memory by today's standards.

<https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/i386/ch02s05.en.html> says:

  You must have at least 485MB of memory and 920MB of hard disk space
  to perform a normal installation. Note that these are fairly minimal
  numbers. For more realistic figures, see Section 3.4, “Meeting
  Minimum Hardware Requirements”.

You have *half* the minimum required amount of memory to perform an
installation, according to the official documentation.  (Which isn't
to say that installation is necessarily impossible; people do difficult
things all the time.)

Also, you said "slower", which implies that you previously ran some
other version of Debian (or Linux) on this same machine.  If this was
an upgrade, then you're skipping the relatively high memory requirements
of the installer.

<https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/i386/ch03s04.en.html> says:

  Install Type 	RAM (minimum) 	RAM (recommended) 	Hard Drive
  No desktop 	256 megabytes 	512 megabytes 		2 gigabytes
  With Desktop 	1 gigabytes 	2 gigabytes 		10 gigabytes

So you're also below the minimum memory requirement for a no-desktop
system (220 MB vs. 256 MB), but it's not by a *lot*.  So you're probably
just scraping by.  This hardware is past its end of life, I would say.
Anything you get it to do at all is just a bonus.