Install Debian 10 amd64 onto USB flash drive with and for Macintosh

debian-user:

I have an Apple MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with an Intel Core i7-4770HQ processor, 16 GB memory, and 256 GB SSD:

    https://support.apple.com/kb/SP719?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro

The laptop has two USB 3.0 ports.

I would like to install Debian 10 onto a USB flash drive as a self-contained, bootable, full, live installation that I use with this and other Intel-based Macintosh computers.

I downloaded the following Debian Installer files, verified the checksums, and verified the signature:

    https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/10.10.0/amd64/jigdo-cd/

    SHA256SUMS*
    SHA256SUMS.sign*
    debian-10.10.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso*
    debian-10.10.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.jigdo*

I assembled the ISO file, verified the checksum, and burned it to a blank USB flash drive:

    debian-10.10.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso

I downloaded the following firmware files, verified the checksums, verified the signature, expanded the archive, and copied the firmware files to a vfat USB flash drive:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/buster/10.10.0/

    SHA256SUMS*
    SHA256SUMS.sign*
    firmware.tar.gz*

I powered off the Mac, inserted the Debian Installer USB flash drive, powered up the Mac, pressed and held the Option key, selected the left "EFI Boot" disk:

        Debian GNU/Linux 10.10.0
        Debian GNU/Linux UEFI Installer menu -> Install
        Language -> C
        Continent or region -> North America
        Country, territory or area -> United States
        Keymap to use -> American English
	Detect network hardware
	    <insert firmware USB flash drive>
	    <install Wi-Fi adapter firmware>
	    <remove firmware USB flash drive>
	    <insert blank USB flash drive>
        Configure the network ->
            Wireless network -> wifi.tracy.holgerdanske.com
            Wireless network type for w1p3s0 -> WPA/WPA2 PSK
            WPA/WPA2 passphrase for wireless device w1p3s0 -> ********
        Hostname -> buster-mac
        Domain name -> localdomain
        Root password -> ********
        Re-enter password to verify -> ********
        Full name for the new user -> debian
        Username for your account -> debian
        Choose a password for the new user -> ********
        Re-enter password to verify -> ********
        Select your time zone -> Pacific
        Partitioning method -> Manual
	    <create partition table on blank USB flash drive>
	    <create "1 GB" EFI System Partition>
	    <create "1 GB" swap partition>
	    <create "13 GB" root partition>
        Use a network mirror -> Yes
        Debian archive mirror country -> United States
        Debian archive mirror -> deb.debian.org
        HTTP proxy information -> <blank>
        Participate in the package usage survey -> No
        Choose software to install ->
	    Debian desktop environment
		Xfce
	    print server
	    SSH server
	    standard system utilities
        Installation complete -> Continue

The machine rebooted into Debian. I logged in, created a default Xfce panel, looked around briefly, and shutdown the machine.

Note that I was not prompted for the location for installing GRUB.

If I now power up the machine with the buster-mac USB flash drive installed, Debian starts.

If I now power up the machine without the buster-mac USB flash drive installed, I see:

    GNU GRUB version 2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u4

    Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
    lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible
    device or file completions.

    grub>

If I now power up the machine without the buster-mac USB flash drive installed and hold the Option key, I see the MacBook firmware disk window showing the internal SSD. Selecting the internal SSD starts macOS.

If I now power up the machine without the buster-mac USB flash drive installed and hold the Command-R keys, I see the MacBook firmware POST screen, then the MacBook firmware utilities window. Selecting Disk Utility and View -> Show All Devices, I see:

    Internal
      APPLE SSD SM0256G Media
        Container disk3
          dpchrist-mbp
          dpchrist-mbp - Data

If I select APPLE SSD SM0256G Media, Container disk3, dpchrist-mbp, or dpchrist-mbp - Data and click First Aid, Disk Utility detects no errors.

Booting the buster-mac USB flash drive and looking around, it appears that GRUB was installed on the internal SSD and not on the USB flash drive:

2021-08-31 14:56:11 root@buster-mac ~
# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 233.8 GiB, 251000193024 bytes, 490234752 sectors
Disk model: APPLE SSD SM0256
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 3B3CDB05-D771-4CA5-A9B0-1C47A5652B20

Device      Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1      40    409639    409600   200M EFI System
/dev/sda2  409640 490234711 489825072 233.6G unknown

Disk /dev/sdb: 14.9 GiB, 16008609792 bytes, 31266816 sectors
Disk model: Ultra Fit
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 8F392ECB-7E30-46D7-ABAB-DBBCB659863C

Device       Start      End  Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdb1     2048  1953791  1951744  953M EFI System
/dev/sdb2  1953792  3907583  1953792  954M Linux swap
/dev/sdb3  3907584 29298687 25391104 12.1G Linux filesystem

2021-08-31 15:09:59 root@buster-mac ~
# mount | egrep '/dev/sd.[0-9]'
/dev/sdb3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

2021-08-31 15:13:35 root@buster-mac ~
# df | egrep 'Filesystem|.dev.sd.[0-9]'
Filesystem     1M-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb3         12140M 3589M     7915M  32% /
/dev/sda1           197M   12M      186M   6% /boot/efi

2021-08-31 15:14:40 root@buster-mac ~
# tree /boot/efi
/boot/efi
|-- BOOTLOG
`-- EFI
    |-- APPLE
    |   |-- CACHES
    |   |   `-- CAFEBEEF
    |   `-- FIRMWARE
    |       `-- MBP114.fd
    `-- debian
        |-- BOOTX64.CSV
        |-- fbx64.efi
        |-- grub.cfg
        |-- grubx64.efi
        |-- mmx64.efi
        `-- shimx64.efi

2021-08-31 15:11:12 root@buster-mac ~
# ls -l /boot/efi
total 2
-rwx------ 1 root root 520 Aug 31 14:16 BOOTLOG
drwx------ 4 root root 512 Aug 31 14:16 EFI

The goal is to have a self-contained Debian installation on the USB flash drive. This means GRUB needs to be installed onto the USB flash drive.

Suggestions?

David