Re: Solved! Re: old handicam movie camera and kino

On Sunday 29 August 2021 11:57:39 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 11:14:46AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 August 2021 10:16:01 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > [...] Catting /etc/passwd to it actually produces some sound,
> > > albeit the accent is a bit... slithery ;-)
> >
> > And was an endless machine gun until ctl+c'd here. cat should have
> > ended at some point but I let it hammer for a good minute.
>
> You actually tried it :-o

I knew it was a test exersize that would produce gibberish at best from
that file, and that it wuld prove the path worked. The surprising thing
was that cat looped it endlessly.

> I didn't expect anything meaningful out of it; just testing that
> there's a path from /dev/dsp to the speakers. I was just too lazy to
> find out which kind of sound format is digestible by /dev/dsp.

> Funny, though, that it took so long for you. You must have a truly big
> /etc/passwd...

The usual stretch, I am the only user that bleeds if cut, living alone
now, there are 3 or 4 others, "usefull idiots" playing in sandboxes they
theroetically can't see out of.

My web page is also this box, again playing in a sandbox so I have to
jump thru hoops to update it.

I set up iptables about 2 years back to stop the bots from mirroring it 2
or 3 times a day, burning up my upload bandwidth, and one of those bots
now has a /8 on the end, and you just have to know who owns it. :)
reads robots.txt, and then ignores it.

> > Then sound in kino worked, quite well in fact.
>
> \o/
>
> Glad it worked.
>
> Cheers
>  - t