Re: Debian 11 and Win10 dual boot

On Fri 27 Aug 2021 at 21:35:38 (-0500), Intense Red wrote:
>    On a new HP Laptop pre-installed with Win10 Home edition installed on an
> SSD. In the laptop's BIOS Secure Boot was turned off.
>
>    A fresh copy of Debian 11 was installed into the machine's 1TB HD. After
> reboot, GRUB comes up normally and Linux works fine.
>
>    But once Windows is chosen from GRUB Windows overwrites the MBR and on
> subsequent boots GRUB has been disappeared and the machine boots straight into
> Windows every time.
>
>    Question: How can Windows be lobotomized to stop it from overwriting the
> MBR and doing this behavior?

>From your talk about "overwriting the MBR", it suggests that you
haven't read around the topic of UEFI booting or dual booting.
You might want to look through pages like:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dual_boot_with_Windows
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/524622/what-is-the-relation-between-uefi-and-grub
just to get an idea of the issues involved. Then, when you boot into
Windows and linux, you'll be aware of where to look for diagnostic
information on the problem.

If there are better starting points than those references, I'm sure
people will post them here.

Lastly, it might help to post how you booted the Debian installer,
and what choices you made when installing Grub during the installation.

Cheers,
David.