Re: amdgpu broken on bookworm?

On 8/28/21 05:36, songbird wrote:
Jeffrey Chimene wrote:

   just to note that using "bookworm" in your subject line can
give the implication that "bookworm" is actually released which
it hasn't.  it is much better to use the keyword "testing" in
the subject line instead.

Agreed. However, a net search on testing would yield results that are too old to be useful. My goal is to watch for bookworm topics via search engine's "news alert" features.

Something happened to my amd firmware for a ryzen3 3200g. A few weeks
ago, this machine made an uneventful transition to bookworm. I'd
originally installed bullseye and the non-free firmware package to get
the firmware for this setup. Everything was fine until yesterday, after
some bookworm updates and a reboot. No more video driver for X.

I've tried downgrading to stable from testing. No joy.

I've wiped /lib/firmware and reinstalled firmware-amd-graphics. No joy.
I've checked

I just booted ubuntu live and graphics are high resolution.

It feels like there's some setting in /proc or /sys that got changed
accidentally.

Any debugging tips?

   it does not take that much space to set up a separate
partition for stable on a system to keep a working version
available and for comparison.  this is what i do.

Damn, that is such a good idea! I will add that to future re-partitioning. Right now, to get this box on the air, I did the two partition (/ and swap) setup and added lvm2 for backups and such. I think the resolution to this issue is to reinstall. I'll wait a few weeks for testing to ripen to 12, move /home to its own partition (and probably /var), create a /stable partition and reinstall.

As I understand it, this /stable is not bootable?