Re: LUKS encryption help

On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 at 11:54, <detrito@tuta.io> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> I'm having some worrying problems with LUKS my Debian 10 installation on an external hard drive. As I'm not very technical, I'll try to explain what I did and what is happening now in chronological order.
>
> Around May I installed Debian 10 on my (external) hard drive in BIOS (not UEFI) mode for backup purposes. In the end of June I took the drive out of the drawer and tried to boot into it but to my surprise my LUKS encryption password does not work anymore.
> I'm very sure I am typing it right because I had written it into a piece of paper. I have tried to unlock and mount it inside my OS (Manjaro) instead of booting it directly but it also didn't work, and I have also tried to boot in Recovery Mode but to no avail. Every time I type in my password it says it's wrong ("Bad password or options" or someting like that).

Let's see exactly what you are doing in Manjaro to try to open
the LUKS drive.

As root in a terminal on Manjaro, please copy and paste into a reply
email the output of
  lsblk -f
command, before connecting the LUKS drive, and again after
connecting it.

("lsblk" contains two lower-case letter L)

The above command output will show the name of the drive,
and it will  look something like sdX.

Please copy and paste into a reply email the output of the below
commands with the drive connected. You will need to repace sdX
with the name seen above for your drive.

  cryptsetup --version

  cryptsetup -v isLuks --type luks1 /dev/sdX

  cryptsetup -v isLuks --type luks2 /dev/sdX

When copy and pasting, be sure to include the command that
you entered, with its output immediately underneath, so that we
can see the command that generated the output.

In the same manner, please show us the command you are typing
to try to open the drive in Manjaro, together with its exact output.