Debian: LDAP migration

Recently I took over the administration of Windows PCs and Linux servers
(Debian) in a small company.

After migrating Windows 7 workstations to Windows 10 workstations, the
challenge is to upgrade the Linux servers to a supported Debian version.
Unfortunately the servers run on out-to-date /unsupported) Debian versions.

There is a 64-bit Linux server, running Debian 8.2 (let's call it DEB82) with
Samba (thus enabling storage of user data on network drives). On DEB82 KVM/
libvirt is installed. One of the VM guest is the LDAP server running Debian
v6.0.4.

My aim is that the LDAP server runs on a supported Debian version (v10 or
v11). As far as I understand the IT situation with respect to LDAP server,
there are two alternatives:
1. Upgrade LDAP server from Debian v6.0.4 to v6.10, then to v10 (via v7, v8
    and v9). Later on to v11.
2. Install a new LDAP server based on Debian v11 (from scratch) and migrate
    the current LDAP configuration to the new LDAP server.

I reckon that both variants have their pros and cons.
What are your recommendations? Any hints? Any caveats?
Who DID migrate a LDAP configuration from an unsupported Debian version to a
supported one? How did you achieve it?

Best regards
Dieter

PGP/GPG Key fingerprint:
BF12 CD6F EDC4 9FBA C933  316B 2C81 0BEF 4324 8513