Re: kodi and gnome-control-center conflict on bullseye

On 2021-08-22 at 12:39, Tristan Miller wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> On 22/08/2021 18.10, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> This appears to mean either that something is resulting in a
>> conflict with that version of kodi-bin, or that that version of
>> kodi-bin is not available.
>>
>> I have:
>>
>> $ apt-cache policy gnome-control-center kodi kodi-bin

<snip>

>> What do you have available?
>

> Thanks. I get the following:
>
> # apt-cache policy gnome-control-center kodi kodi-bin
> gnome-control-center:
>    Installed: (none)
>    Candidate: 1:3.38.4-1
>    Version table:
>       1:3.38.4-1 500
>          500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
> kodi:
>    Installed: 2:19.1+dfsg2-2
>    Candidate: 2:19.1+dfsg2-2
>    Version table:
>   *** 2:19.1+dfsg2-2 500
>          500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> kodi-bin:
>    Installed: 2:19.1+dfsg2-2
>    Candidate: 2:19.1+dfsg2-2
>    Version table:
>   *** 2:19.1+dfsg2-2 500
>          500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

These version numbers all match mine.

This confirms that kodi-bin at the needed version number is available.

>> What I usually do in this type of situation is to start adding the
>> specified "is not going to be installed" packages to the command line,
>> with explicit version numbers included if necessary, until it stops just
>> saying "is not going to be installed" and starts telling me *why* some
>> particular package won't be installed. This is usually a Conflicts or
>> version-specific Depends or the like. From there, it's not usually
>> difficult to figure out what's causing the problem and what to do.
>
> What explicit version number do you suggest that I try?  Running "apt
> install kodi gnome-control-center" tells me that

>   kodi : Depends: kodi-bin (>= 2:19.1+dfsg2-2) but it is not going to be
> installed
>          Depends: kodi-bin (< 2:19.1+dfsg2-2.1~) but it is not going to
> be installed
>
> But if I run "apt install kodi-bin=2:19.1+dfsg2-2", I am told
>
> kodi-bin is already the newest version (2:19.1+dfsg2-2).

You need to continue specifying all of the packages in the same command
line, and repeat with new packages as necessary until it tells you an
actual reason for the failure instead of just the generic "is not going
to be installed".

So,

# apt install gnome-control-center kodi kodi-bin

or

# apt install gnome-control-center kodi kodi-bin=2:19.1+dfsg2-2

and then if that just fails because of another package, add that one and
repeat.

(Based on your 'apt-cache policy' output, I don't think specifying the
explicit version number will be necessary in this case, but it may be in
some other cases.)

Note that if you eventually hit a command line which succeeds, you'll
probably wind up marking all the listed packages as manually installed,
which you may not want. It may be worth backing up your
"manually-installed packages" state (as reported by the command
'apt-mark showmanual') before starting, so that after the whole thing is
done with you can go back and mark specific packages as auto-installed.

--
   The Wanderer