Re: kodi and gnome-control-center conflict on bullseye

On 2021-08-22 at 11:37, Tristan Miller wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> On 22/08/2021 17.20, The Wanderer wrote:
>> On 2021-08-22 at 10:46, Tristan Miller wrote:
>>> On my bullseye system, it doesn't seem to be possible to install both
>>> kodi and gnome-control-center as they conflict with each other.  (See
>>> below for what happens when I've got kodi installed and then try to
>>> install gnome-control-center.)
>>
>> What happens if you instead run
>>
>> $ apt install kodi gnome-control-center
>>
>> ? You should either get a success (via different resolution of the
>> dependencies, which doesn't consider omitting either of the two to be an
>> acceptable solution) or an error which may help us narrow down the problem.
>

> Here's the output:
>
> # apt install kodi gnome-control-center
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> kodi is already the newest version (2:19.1+dfsg2-2).
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   kodi : Depends: kodi-bin (>= 2:19.1+dfsg2-2) but it is not going to be
> installed
>          Depends: kodi-bin (< 2:19.1+dfsg2-2.1~) but it is not going to
> be installed

Hmm.

This appears to mean either that something is resulting in a conflict
with that version of kodi-bin, or that that version of kodi-bin is not
available.

I have:

$ apt-cache policy gnome-control-center kodi kodi-bin
gnome-control-center:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:3.38.4-1
  Version table:
     1:3.38.4-1 900
        800 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
        900 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
kodi:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2:19.1+dfsg2-2
  Version table:
     2:19.1+dfsg2-2 900
        800 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
        900 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
kodi-bin:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2:19.1+dfsg2-2
  Version table:
     2:19.1+dfsg2-2 900
        800 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
        900 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages

What do you have available?

What I usually do in this type of situation is to start adding the
specified "is not going to be installed" packages to the command line,
with explicit version numbers included if necessary, until it stops just
saying "is not going to be installed" and starts telling me *why* some
particular package won't be installed. This is usually a Conflicts or
version-specific Depends or the like. From there, it's not usually
difficult to figure out what's causing the problem and what to do.

--
   The Wanderer