Re: smart fans

On 2021-08-22 4:02 a.m., Emanuel Berg wrote:
> tomas wrote:
>
>>> There are no working fan sensors, all readings are 0.
>>> Make sure you have a 3-wire fan connected.
>>                       ^^^^^^
>> Well?
>
> I'm sure!
>
>> This would be the first thing to clear. If your hardware
>> doesn't play along... game over :-/
>
> Yeah, but if so, why doesn't it?

Your motherboard *seems* to have it's own way of dealing with the fan
controls. Here's what the docs says :

- Fan Xpert 4 featuring Fan Auto Tuning function and multiple
thermistors  selection for optimized system cooling control

I find it somewhat pretty ironic here, normally gamer rig would be water
cooled and have multi colored fan with nice led.

You are trying to get rid of the fans !

There's a unique reason why gamer modify their system and use water
cooling or many other way to get rid of heat.

Because gamer rig normally produce hell of heat.

Like already explained by others, if you want to persist in this vein,
you can always install your own thermistors and fan, and control these
yourself the same way you'd control some type of hardware device with a
GPIO or I2C bus driven setup.

But seems that the standard software doesn't play along.

Probably your board has it's own proprietary way of managing the fans
instead of using the normal way of reporting sensor. Normal way being
what is set in standards and compatible between brands.

Often on those type of budget motherboard, they'll cut the cost by using
unconventional way of doing thing. If it's possible to cut the chip
driving the I2C (1 wire bus) used to drive the fan then they'll do so.

I think you got all the information at hand now.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside