Re: bullseye: systemd-networkd-wait-online timeouts

Andy Smith:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 09:36:30PM +0200, Jochen Spieker wrote:
>
>> Aug 18 10:59:20 h2907737 systemd-networkd-wait-online[936688]: Event loop failed: Connection timed out
>> Aug 18 10:59:20 h2907737 apt-helper[936686]: E: Sub-process /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd-wait-online returned an error code (1)
>>
>> For some reason systemd does not (fully?) recognize that the system is
>> online.
>
> I don't know yet about bullseye but in buster systemd does assume
> that you are online when using ifupdown unless you enable the
> "ifupdown-wait-online" service, which actually waits for every
> interface marked auto be be ready before allowing "network-online"
> target to be reached.
>
> Is that service enabled? If you disable it, what happens? I expect
> systemd to assume it is online.

Sounds like a good idea! But:

# systemctl status ifupdown-wait-online.service
● ifupdown-wait-online.service - Wait for network to be configured by ifupdown
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ifupdown-wait-online.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (exited) since Sun 2021-08-15 00:16:58 CEST; 5 days ago
   Main PID: 79 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
      Tasks: 0 (limit: 105)
     Memory: 0B
     CGroup: /system.slice/ifupdown-wait-online.service

Aug 15 00:16:58 xxxxxxxx.stratoserver.net systemd[1]: Finished Wait for network to be configured by ifupdown.
Warning: journal has been rotated since unit was started, output may be incomplete.

# systemctl disable --now ifupdown-wait-online.service
Removed /etc/systemd/system/network-online.target.wants/ifupdown-wait-online.service.

# /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd-wait-online  --timeout=2 --any
Event loop failed: Connection timed out

> Also are you absolutely sure that you aren't using systemd-networkd
> and/or NetworkManager and there isn't any .link files for systemd
> anywhere, that it's purely ifupdown?

The package network-manager is not installed, /etc/systemd/network is
empty and /etc/systemd/networkd.conf only contains comments, so I think
I am sure.

> May be worth asking your hosting provider as well because uf they
> are mandating how your /etc/network/interfaces looks (and its use)
> then they need to know how to make it play nice with systemd in
> Debian 11.

That is probable the right approach. Thanks for your suggestions!

J.
--
No-one appears to be able to help me.
[Agree]   [Disagree]