Re: Buster to Bullseye upgrade problem

On Fri 20 Aug 2021, at 12:32, Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 10:45:57PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > One might assume so, but only you can check that. There are two logs
> > of the upgrade. /var/log/apt/history.log (and its predecessors) shows
> > the command issued, followed by the packages affected, with the old
> > and new version numbers in parentheses. /var/log/apt/term.log (and its
> > predecessors) shows the various packages being unpacked and then set
> > up.
>
> Huh.  I didn't know about the terminal session logs.  Nifty.
>

> 'Twould be nice if it showed the command which was typed before each
> logged session, but still... nifty.

You may be aware of "script" which I have found useful for that. You have to overlook gibberishy characters though, as backspace and other special chars are included in the output file.

https://linux.die.net/man/1/script

You can set it up to run with new terminals, but I can't find the instructions to do so.

Kind regards
Gareth