Re: Respect for newbies and new comers [ was : moderators, I would appreciate if you could interfere ]

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 08:18:50PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,

> Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> > > [...] Steve's message is pretty explicit, so I guess
> > > the message he is trying to pass here is quite clear.
>
> Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> > Great for him, cheer if you feel like it.
>
> Well then:
>
> Three cheers for Steve McIntyre, former Debian Project Leader, carer of
> Debian boot capabilities including the inavoidable cooperation with
> Microsoft to get Debian working on Secure Boot EFI, and one of the most
> influencial users of my own contribution to the free software world.
>
>   https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=93sam%40debian.org
>   https://wiki.debian.org/SteveMcIntyre
>

> Also he is one of the people who were addressed by the previous title
> of this thread: "moderators, I would appreciate if you could interfer".
> So giving him back-talk in respect to list rules and conventions seems
> somewhat like asking for a demonstration of his authority.
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

People,

There's a lot of sniping back and forward, flaming and general bad behaviour.
Various people have asked nicely, put forward polite comments and suggested
constructive ways forward. I've written to the list: Steve has also been
constrained to weigh in.

However exasperated any individual may be, however tempting it is to pile
in with a sarcastic comment: stop now, enough.

The state of this particular list in the last fortnight or so has not
been an example for anyone. The mega threads have effectively become unreadable.
As previously, I'm not going to single out individuals on list - many of
you know and recognise significantly better standards of mailing list
behaviour than you may yourselves have shown in the past couple of weeks.
Follow them.

As ever, this list remains subject to the Debian Code of Conduct and the
Debian mailing list code of conduct.

Can we get back to providing support for users, new and old, and something
good and worthwhile in the way we communicate with each other?

Respect goes upwards downwards and sideways from an individual: it may
have to be earned over time: it can surely be lost in an instant.

Regards

Andy Cater

[For the Community Team]