Re: Can't boot following re-install to LVM on LUKS [was: can't login via gdm]

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 03:46:51PM +0100, Morgan Read wrote:
> On 11/08/2021 11:30 pm, David Christensen wrote:
> > On 8/11/21 6:45 AM, Morgan Read wrote:
> >> After having overcome a fairly fundamental bug with calamares as
> >> described here:
> >> https://github.com/calamares/calamares/issues/1564#issuecomment-846321060
> >> And, (unnecessarily as it turned out) re-installed my system, I find
> >> I'm unable to boot. ...

Morgan,
Hi Andy, Thanks for coming back to me:-
Possibly just don't use calamares. Use the standard Debian installer (d-i for
short). Either the standard or expert installs offer you "ordinary" LVM or
encrypted LVM with LUKS, made even more straightforward if you can choose
Actually, it was calamares that worked better than d-i - after failing with Debian's calamares live install I followed the instructions for d-i here:
https://www.blakehartshorn.com/installing-debian-on-existing-encrypted-lvm/
Blake Hartshorn seems to do a pretty good job of describing the problem and solution.  However, it wasn't a solution for me because the install failed repeatedly over the course of a couple of days (I was using 10.10 cf. BH using 10.4) - it wasn't until after I'd invested in a new flash drive and continued with the same fails that I tried the PureOS live install, which worked.  You can read a full discussion of my woes here:
https://github.com/calamares/calamares/issues/1564#issuecomment-898246354
Essentially, d-i couldn't get passed either the base system dpkg install (most usually base-passwd) or the following software install.  The dpkg warnings were thrown on "parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 5 package 'dpkg' : missing description field" with errors on the stateoverride file.

I would have filed bug reports but then Debian went to 11 and I figured there'd be a new disk spun so it was all history anyway and I had a working machine with PureOS.

Also: the standard size for swap is now 1G and for a dedicated /tmp
partition of 2G.
That's interesting - so nothing for hibernation on swap?  I gave 8G to allow for hibernation, but would happily give it away if I could?

Many thanks.

--
Morgan Read

UNITED KINGDOM