Re: can't login via gdm

Thanks Il and Zoltan,

In a nutshell - yes, yes, and yes...
However, I only realised the error when I logged into my headless
server terminal where I use an 'admin' user account rather than root
for admin as I did on my laptop - thus, on my laptop I was never
confronted with a failed terminal login, only failed graphic logins
which didn't tell me anything... And so now i've done even more damage
reinstalling...  See here:

So, it seems that
# find / -user 1002 -execdir chown 1003 '{}' \;
Didn't perform as I expected...

I was attempting to modify
# for i in `find / -user 1001`; do chown 3001 $i; done
>From here:
https://kerneltalks.com/tips-tricks/how-to-change-uid-or-gid-safely-in-linux/
To not fail on path names with white space - which my back-up of my
Thunderbird profile contains.  I wonder if anyone has any comment on
where I stuffed up?

Many thanks (again).