Re: Debian 11 Live USB with persistence?

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> writes:

> For legacy BIOS booting there is the need for an MBR which knows what
> program of the boot loader to start. The Debian x86 ISOs have such an MBR
> which knows the block address of the isolinux.bin program. But it does not
> get copied to the USB stick by the 7z run shown in the wiki article.

Thanks, good points. I did install syslinux and I installed an MBR with
install-mbr but either I botched something with the syslinux install or
syslinux really needs the syslinux MBR. Second time I made sure I
installed syslinux on the FAT partition and the bundled syslinux MBR in
the stick MBR and managed to boot.

So, looks like Debian Live with persistence really likes to mount and/or
fsck any partitions it finds. Crazy.

GRML also worked, much the same as Debian with persistence. Video card
still refuses to work. Oh well, no rush to upgrade to Bullseye.