Re: /bin/tempfile missing in debianutils 5.0.1-1

On 2021-08-18 at 08:57, Miguel A. Vallejo wrote:

> Thanks Greg

> It is xorg-common still using tempfile.
>
> So... if you need X your choices are downgrade debian-utils or wait
> until a new version of xorg-common is available.

From what I see in that bug report, a new version of xorg-common which
switches to mktemp has already been uploaded, and presumably will become
available (in unstable) before long.

Also, there's now an open bug report (cloned from that one) to get
debianutils to revert this change until all other packages (in the
Debian repositories) that use tempfile have stopped doing so. That's
https://bugs.debian.org/992399, and per the comment that produced that
cloned bug report, will probably result in tempfile coming back not only
for this release cycle but also for the next one.

How long it'll take for debianutils to get reverted, especially if
there's maintainer pushback on doing so, is of course a separate question.

--
   The Wanderer