Re: Grub efi etc

Hi,

On 2021-08-16 2:30 a.m., tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 05:21:41PM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>>

>> On 2021-08-15 4:31 p.m., Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Keep notes as you go. Try and raise single issues - it'll help.
>>>
>>> All the very best, as ever,
>> I'd like to have as much patience you do ;-)
>
> Not only patience, but knowledge.
>
> I just keep trying :-)

Knowledge is not like magic, it comes with time for a specific domain.
We all have knowledge but it's split between all that we do in life. We
can't expect to have the same knowledge as someone else who's older than us.

For myself, I try to find answer by myself as often I can before going
out and asking others, this way I can gain a better understanding of the
process around me. If I do ask others, I try to also ask *why* they gave
me such answer. I don't accept only *do this and it will work*, if one
answer doesn't allow me a better understanding then I don't take it
because not only will it won't help me by just repeating what others
tell me, it can also be dangerous.

I don't have as much knowledge than many of you regarding Debian because
for most of my life, computer related task wasn't a 40+ hours a week job.

And one of the best way of learning is by trial and error. Having good
methods of separating cause and effects, taking time to read (always a
bit stupid not to read the release note to only find afterward that you
forgot a very important thing that wasn't needed for the past 20 &+
release but is so now).

And one of the best hint for learning is to ask the good persons. I
don't use *Windows Subsystem for Linux* and if I would, then it's not
here that I'd ask. Same goes for any Debian derivative.

The force of Debian is not only the number of users who use it but the
*why* user chose Debian. Most people choose some fork over Debian for
pretty bad reason like "It use X desktop by default", "it include Y
application", "it's more up to date for Z application", etc. Most person
who have enough knowledge wouldn't take a fork based on these
motivation, they'd simply
*compile and/or install the needed application*,
*choose* the desktop they *want*,
*compile and/or install* a updated version of application either from
*testing or from outside source*.

If you choose a distribution that most people using it make this choice
because it include *codec by default* won't give you chances to meet
people who have a good technical background because installing codec is
pretty easy. And using a distribution that make the choice of having the
latest over the most stable (and safest) won't have a user base who have
some important need for their system. I always laughed at Ubuntu that
took years until they got out a version that is *server oriented* as
they call it. Or when I talk with a user who tells me he's using Mint
because it offers him a Cinammon Desktop by default (not sure was Mint).
That just sound crazy ! Those are not good reason to choose one
distribution over another one.

Why have I chosen Debian ?
*1st* : some package it's somewhat lagging behind because of all the
test done before a package is approved for inclusion and the same test
go one for updates. There's a truckload of compatibility test done,
rules for compilation (default flags) and the maintainer / developer
don't accept easily that you go away from those requirement. So the risk
of a new update crashing the whole system is pretty low.

*2nd* : There's a long support period for the distribution.

*3rd* : Never found a fork who had a good reason of being alive.

*4th* : The documentation is present in many language.

*5th* : There's no commercial group behind who can push their own
motivation for having choices made. So choice shall be made on technical
reason and not based on what will drive a user base (for example
accepting unstable driver that will attract gamer).

*6th* : Has a huge set of developer application for doing package
development and validation.

 *7th* : In 1997 and since, I've read in all the review around the same
thing *Debian is appreciated by system operator for it's stability*.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside