Re: [Going OFFTOPIC ] Harmonic Analysis ( was: moderators, I would appreciate if you could interfere)

On 2021-08-15 10:26 p.m., Jeremy Ardley wrote:

> On 16/8/21 10:17 am, Weaver wrote:
>>
>> Any idiot can edit a page there.
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Harry.
>>
> And they frequently do!
>
> Yesterday I looked up 'harmonic analysis' of which I am a subject
> expert. The article was virtually incomprehensible to me. But worse, it
> almost completely missed what it is about - it's major use in picking
> signals up from well below the noise floor in applications such as deep
> space communications and tidal signal analysis. It's even used in the
> targeting systems of heat seeking missiles. None of that crappy fourier
> analysis here thanks!

Maybe there's a misunderstanding between what harmonic analysis are used
for and what they are based on ?

Harmonic analysis are a form of waveform function for signal analysis.
Mostly used for extracting signal for mountain of noise (one
application) but there's many and the math basis behind this is far from
the common usage.

We often forget that Wikipedia is a "general encyclopedia" not a
specific encyclopedia. For example can't compare the page in Wikipedia
for Harmonic Analysis and the page in a Wikibooks with a chapter on
harmonic analysis and it's introduction page.

I really don't understand why you feel that the reference to Fourrier
transformation ain't appropriate.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside