Re: Grub efi etc

Hi,

On 2021-08-15 3:13 p.m., Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> Hi.
> After I put EFI in sda1 Refracta installer was not satisfied and told me
> to put 'boot installer' in, and write some (unspecified) text in fstab,
> but wasn't in ETC.
>
> How and what to write in fstab?
>
> You tell me to specify question.
> How to specify a total mess?
Maybe because you try to do too many different things and create the
mess yourself ?

What do you think ? we are super natural aptitude of being able to see
what's going on with your computer ? Sorry to break your dream. We can
only help you out as much as you do so yourself. How can we know what is
needed to write in *fstab* when you never took the time for answering
questions that people have asked you regarding what you have as computer
and for now, you are trying to build a somewhat more complex situation
than needed.

Why don't you try to do a damn simple installation with only one
distribution and when you'll get problem. It will be much easier for you
to get help. Also, go ask on the good place...

There's a simple thing called "walk before trying to run". Not too sure
how you can say this in Norwegian but I think you must get it by now.

> I'm trying to put a (Debian fork), Devuan x86_64 installed, in a ssd 1T
> external drive connected with usb to my old Mac (with dual boot Linux
> mint i386 -works, but cannot Zoom/Skype) +Devuan('boots' blinking ? only).
You are asking for help about installing Devuan on a Debian forum ?
Why don't you go ask on a Devuan forum ?
Not because we want you out of here but because your chance are higher
to get people who know something about Devuan.

> After installed x86_64 almost finished with gdisk, Refracta asks me to
> put in 'boot installer'. I thought it was EFI(, that I put in sda1) ?
> Saw a message:
> "Efi not supported." In Devuan(?).
> But Mint said it would only EFI it,
> & then it worked. But only in 32b.
> Debian and Devuan obviously don't mix with Mint. And vice versa. Why
> not, really? You can learn around Efi & Grub from each other. Now you're
EFI and Grub are two different thing.
EFI is how your computer boot (and the mode used to load a operating
system).
Grub is a bootloader (a software used to load a operating system and
allow you to use more than one).

> both leaving it all up to Rod Smith.
> But to me it seems a bit too much for 1 man/team. Is Linux necessary to
> be such a mess ?

No it's quite easy.
Why don't you try a simple thing.
We already suggested you a specific image for installing Debian.
Go ahead and install this version.

Install one thing, only one thing, and try to get used to it.

Maybe there will you be able to get some help.

I'll remind you that people have asked you what computer you used so
they would be better at giving you hint related to Mac.

You didn't seem to have answered and every time, you seem to forget what
you asked before and ask something different, all going more and more
complex without even resolving one thing.

I'll give you a last hint.

There's two big distribution that have a huge user base to help you out.
Mostly Debian and Ubuntu that offer community ready to help pretty much
in all the way possible.

Now if you start saying I'm trying to install two distribution but don't
know how to use one. Then don't that sound a bit crazy ?

Just start with the installation image we suggested you.
Go ahead, follow the installation guide for Debian.
Installing ONLY ONE SYSTEM
and if you get a problem then it will be much easier to say :
I started the installation by following the install guide.
Now I'm having a problem at step X (partition) or after I did initial
install and reboot, I'm getting problem Z.

Because honestly, now, you seem much more close to being what's called a
troll than a user asking faithfully for help.

Before going out and crying that you got called a *troll*, sending me a
message afterward that you are leaving this mailing list and doing also
the same on the mailing list.

Let me copy part of the definition of *troll* from Wikipedia :

--
In internet slang, a troll is a person who posts inflammatory,
*insincere*, digressive, *extraneous*, or *off-topic* messages in an

You talked more about things that are unrelated to Debian than stuff
that is related to it. And you do this pretty much knowingly, as a
matter of fact, you never answered when we asked you (many person) do
copy the dump of *hwinfo* so we get a idea of what you are running. Or
simply the dump of *uname -a*

Help yourself somehow...

If you were happy that I help you discover you are running a x64
architecture then do a bit of self meditation because I ain't the only
one that offered you help. Maybe I was the only one who took so much
time doing so but it seems pretty much useless, somewhat like talking alone.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside