Re: [OFFTOPIC] Plonk (wss: Meta: behavior on list)

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 01:27:43PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Charlie Gibbs writes:
> > Some people will respond by switching to a different e-mail address in
> > order to work around the killfiles they know they're now in.
>
> Fortunately Gnus can filter on things such as substrings of message IDs
> and other identifying header features that the trolls are unaware of the
> existence of.

Depends on how dedicated the troll is.  There's a person on the help-bash
mailing list who has been trolling us under *multiple* fake identities
since the beginning of the year.  They change their email address, their
name (including apparent gender), and even their MUA on a regular basis
in order to try to sneak in a few more of their questions.

I've got two killfile entries for this person, but they only work on
the troll's past patterns, and there's no guarantee I'll catch their
future messages this way.  This means I have to be continually on guard,
and treat any newcomer with suspicion.

Some people just suck.