Re: All-in-One printer: HP OfficeJet 8012

Brian (12021-08-13):
> Consider a driverless car. It is not really driverless in the sense
> you espouse. Otherwise it would not be going anywhere, would it?
> From the point of view of the passengers and the Authorities there
> isn't a human driver.

Exactly. "Driverless" uses the word "driver" as the layperson
understands it: some specific piece of software you have to install in
order to get a new device to work. In that sense, a brand new video
controller requires a driver, but not a mouse, a USB storage stick or
5.1 speakers.

I used the word "driver" in the technical sense: the piece of code in
the operating system (in the widest possible sense) that makes it
possible to use the device. In that sense a mouse requires the driver in
hid-generic.ko, a USB storage stick requires the driver in
usb-storage.ko, but speakers connected with a jack or RCA plug do not
(the audio controller does, though, but it does whether there are
speakers connected or not).

So much bits wasted for a small remark I made between parentheses.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George