Re: All-in-One printer: HP OfficeJet 8012

Hi.

We finally found an HP DeskJet 2723e at a closer vendor; in terms of
price and bulk it was much closer to to or needs the one we had and the
cat broke.

I first set it up on wifi only. I used the proprietary HP application on
my phone, it used bluetooth to give the wifi password to the printer. I
confirmed with the router it was connected and set up a static DHCP
lease.

After that, I could connect to the printer using
<https://10.0.1.17:631/>.

Setting up printing was as easy as:

sudo lpadmin -p DeskJet_2723e -v http://10.0.1.17:631/ -E -m everywhere

(by the way, "driverless" is a nice advertisement gimmick, but really it
is a misnomer for an unified driver) and printing a test page worked
right away.

I could also scan using the web interface. SANE offered a little more
resistance tough.

But first I had to re-configure it for another wifi network. This time I
tried doing it with USB.

Installing ipp-usb and plugging the printer starts a ipp-usb.service and
a web server on <http://localhost:60000/> where I could change the wifi
settings. The web-server seems extremenly bogus, I had to reload the
page numerous times before getting something workable.

Once the printer connected to its final network, I tried SANE seriously.

To let SANE auto-detect the device, I had to:

sudo hp-setup -i 10.0.1.17

to let it create a second queue
"hp:/net/DeskJet_2700_series?ip=10.0.1.17". But it still refused to
work.

For some reason, scanimage sends its useful messages to syslog instead
of stderr.

I had:

unable to load library libm.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so: invalid ELF header

(/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so is a ld script, not meant for dynamic
consequence, and:

unable to open /var/lib/hp/hplip.state: No such file or directory

and, if I tried to populate this file based on examples found on the
web:

unable to load library /usr/share/hplip/scan/plugins/bb_escl.so: /usr/share/hplip/scan/plugins/bb_escl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

As it happens, it means the libsane-hpaio requires a binary non-Libre
plugin for this printer. It can be downloaded with:

sudo hp-plugin -g

It installs files in /usr/share/hplip/scan/plugins/.

After that:

scanimage -h -d 'hpaio:/net/DeskJet_2700_series?ip=10.0.1.17'

worked, as did actual scanning and Gimp's GUI.

I am not very satisfied with the use of a binary plugin, but at least it
works.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George