Re: All-in-One printer: HP OfficeJet 8012

Le 10/08/2021 à 21:48, Brian a écrit :
On Tue 10 Aug 2021 at 20:57:56 +0200, Erwan David wrote:

Le 10/08/2021 à 20:54, Brian a écrit :
On Tue 10 Aug 2021 at 19:01:30 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 18:44:18 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

Hello Brian,

Thank you for the response, Brad. I see the point about applet verus web
NP, Brian.

page. To my mind it is not a showstopper.
Nor to me.  It's simply convenient.

Enjoy the applet while you can.
Probably when I get a new machine.  Which should be some years away -
I've only had this one about a year.  Unless, of course, I'm forced to
remove HPLIP by some upgrade or other in the mean time.
As I've said previously, a future CUPS will not support printer drivers.
HPLIP provides printer drivers. There will be little point in Debian
packaging HPLIP, wouldn't you agree? But this is a few years away.

Stick with what you have (it works) but think about getting ahead of the
game.

We'll see at that time, especially since what I read from
https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting makes it unable to handle
the cases where you must use a print serer or the one where you're not
on the same network as the printer.

Perhaps cups-browsed migt help you.

No all zeroconf based scheme is limited to the local (L2 network). And printer on a separate network is the standard setup in offices.