Re: bluetooth keyboard

Hi,

On 2021-08-08 6:14 p.m., mick crane wrote:
> Debian 11
> I like the little generic bluetooth keyboards but it is annoying that
> when they go to sleep it takes a few seconds for everything to wake up
> so you can commence typing.
> Is it perhaps to do with the PC polling the keyboard for activity and
> can that be made quicker ?
No, this is related to the way the bluetooth stack work.
When you use a hardware keyboard (USB or PS/2 for example), the
interface is purely thru the use of a driver in the kernel (USB driver
or PS/2 driver).
When you use a Bluetooth keyboard, the driver in the kernel or as a
module is only responsible for the dongle itself. There's a software
stack that manage authentication, connection to devices and more. This
software stack has to be launched so the keyboard can communicate with
the PC (or the PC get info from the keyboard).
This take much more time than a simple USB driver. It's also one of the
reason that make it impossible to use a Bluetooth keyboard to
communicate with GRUB or another bootloader or simply access the system
configuration of your PC.

Does this help ?
> mick
Sincerely, with solidarity,