Re: HOW change keyboard

On Thu, Aug 05, 2021 at 11:31:42AM +0300, Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> How do I change keyboard in Xfce desktop?
>
> History/what I did:
>
> Chosen keyboard (in setup during installation process) disappeared/changed
> into a keyboard without keys: " @ $ € "

For Debian, the relevant package is `keyboard-configuration', which is
probably installed already on your system.

If you are somewhat comfortable with a console, you might want to try:

  sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

You will get a big list of possible keyboard configurations. Among them,
there are a few Mac-ish options. I see the following in my distro:

    MacBook/MacBook Pro
    MacBook/MacBook Pro (intl.)
    Macintosh
    Macintosh Old

Unfortunately, I can't tell you which one to use, since I have no Macs
at home :)

Have a look at the Debian wiki page on keyboards [1], there might be
useful info for you.

> Maybe it happened  because I chose
> " i686 pae " (or similar name)
> under "advanced" (option 2) in start-up of the machine. Of course I can try
> reboot in default

Most definitely not. You can choose processor architecture independently
of keyboard layout.

> But I want try this "i686 pae", & also to see if a keyboard list is
> somewhere in Xfce or via a program in Synaptic or Terminal.

I'm sure Xfce has some app to choose the keyboard, as an alternative
to my proposal above.

> Because I do need sometimes to switch to a Greek keyboard. Sorry for my bad
> English.

Oh -- I do have a configuration where I can switch between Latin and
Greek. But be warned, I don't use a desktop environment, just plain X
and a window manager (I seem to be too stupid for DEs, I tried some).

And don't worry about your English. It is adequate.

Cheers

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard

 - tomás