Re: what binds to port

On Fri 30 Jul 2021 at 17:47:50 +0100, mick crane wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > The only thing not commented out is
> > > sane-port stream tcp nowait saned /usr/sbin/scanbm scanbm
> > >
> > > The scanbd installer package must have put it there.
> > > I'm thinking inetd is the thing that is watching and tells scanbm to
> > > wake up.
> >
> > Exactly: that's inetd's job (well, it used to be, until
> > systemd "reinvented" it).
> >
> > Cheers
> >  - t
>
> This is getting silly. Why have I got 2 scanners

You do not have two scanners. You have a single scanner capable of
using two different SANE backends, fujitsu: and escl:. Actually, you
are using a third backend, net:, too.

> mick@pumpkin:~$ scanimage -L
> device `net:localhost:fujitsu:fi-5750Cdj:107245' is a FUJITSU fi-5750Cdj
> scanner
> device `net:localhost:escl:fi-5750Cdj:107245' is a FUJITSU fi-5750Cdj
> scanner
> mick@pumpkin:~$
> what is this "escl" one?

Your are using bullseye. It comes with the territory.

  https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork#escl

I might have missed it, but did you ever say in this thread what the
device is?

> How hard is it to get rid of this systemd and helper things stuff ?

Rhetorical, I hope? You haven't any evidence to believe it is the
source of any of your difficulties. User disparagement doesn't count.

> I like things to work but I'm quite capable  of breaking things on my own.

A sound principal for anyone to take note of.

--
Brian.