Re: what binds to port

On 2021-07-30 12:45, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On 2021-07-30 11:59, Dan Ritter wrote:
> mick crane wrote:
> > Can I assume there is something else binding to the scanner address ?
> > How to find out what that might be ?
>

> sudo netstat -ltp|grep sane-port
>
> should tell you the PID and name of the process.

it's inetd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:sane-port 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
869/inetd

Is this to be expected or might it be something to do with network manager ?

At this point, you look at your inetd.conf file and see what's in there.

The only thing not commented out is
sane-port stream tcp nowait saned /usr/sbin/scanbm scanbm

The scanbd installer package must have put it there.
I'm thinking inetd is the thing that is watching and tells scanbm to wake up. Thinking that the debian scanbd maintainers had everything setup nicely and I screwed up following wrong READMEs etc I purged scanbd and reinstalled.
Now I have 2 net.scanners.
Getting to be a bit of a nightmare.
It was all working yesterday then I was having permission denied stuff trying to save scans in my home directory from a script in /etc/scanbd when I'd have thought it should work when it wrote to /tmp OK. A few times I've had a window pop up when pasting stuff into a file saying to effect "this looks unsafe, are you sure you want to do that" I'm wondering if there is some helpful program in Debian 11 which is monitoring activity and giving the "permission denied" ?

mick
--
Key ID    4BFEBB31