Re: how best to do

On 7/28/21 6:44 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

This, my main machine that backs up 5 others here, but does that with
drives not involved with daily stuffs, and of course I'm gradually
replacing spinning rust with SSD's.

I've been dragging my feet on updating from stretch to buster, waiting
for 1TB SSD's to get affordable. Now they almost have.

But I do have a pair of 500 GB SamSung EVO 860's and one empty sata
socket. Spares for the rest of my multi-machine farm, currently at 5
other machines.

Total storage actually used on this machine ATM is around 318G. Some of
which isn't precious.

With 2 drives and 2 sata connectors, how can I configure this for maximum
redundancy, but not necessarily maximum working capacity?

Does that recommendation change if I order 2 more 1T SSD's? In which
case, which of the current buzzwords tech is the most dependable?

Thank you.
Cheers, Gene Heskett

I suggest creating a ZFS mirrored storage pool using the 500 GB SSD's:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gaynr/index.html

Later, you could add mirrored 1 TB SSD's to the pool:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37838_01/html/E61017/gayrd.html

And remove the 500 GB SSD mirror from the pool:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37838_01/html/E61017/remove-devices.html

David