Re: location of screenshots during debian install

On Wed 28 Jul 2021 at 11:16:42 (+1200), Richard Hector wrote:
> On 27/07/21 7:14 pm, Jupiter777 wrote:
> > I am in the middle of installing buster 10.10.x on my computer.
> >
> > I see that I can take screenshots as the dialog boxes tell me:
> >
> >    Screenshot Saved as /var/log/<filename>
> >
> > But /var/log is not on the bootable  usb I am using ...
> >
> > Where are the screenshots?  I like to  use them for troubleshooting?
>
> I've never used this facility, so I'm only guessing.
>
> But if they're not on the installer media, then they're presumably on
> the disk you're installing to, which is mounted on /target/ during the
> installation - so /target/var/log/<filename>.
>
> Whether and how you can get them off that disk if you haven't finished
> the installation is a different matter, of course :-)

You can start taking screenshots long before /target exists.
As indicated above, screenshots are placed in /var/log/…
which is a filesystem created in memory for the duration of the
actual installation process.

If you don't want to go as far as "Save debug logs" in the main menu,
then you have to copy them somewhere yourself. Once /target _does_
exist, you could copy them there, but that means getting as far as
"Install the base system", which populates /target with something
recognisable as a system disk (meaning that, say, /target/root/ would
be available).

So, the quick way is:

. Alt-F4 to view the syslog
. Insert a fresh stick, and watch screen
. Alt-F2(or 3) for a shell
. Mount stick (device name just seen on log) onto /mnt
. cp /var/log/… stuff to /mnt/… (may as well grab the lot)
. Unmount stick
. Remove stick after activity ceases
. Alt-F1 to carry on installing

Cheers,